Saturday, April 11, 2009

Beautiful, Scandalous Night

Easter is miraculous. Such a joy. I was over at Beth Moore's blog the other day and her daughter, Melissa, was sharing her favorite Easter memories (that happened to be Palm Sunday). I got to thinking about what exactly my favorite part of Holy week is. Hands down, no question, I LOVE good Friday.

My brother drives me to work on days when Hubby goes to work early. We were on our way Friday and he said, "What is so good about good Friday!? I mean, it's filled with torture and death." True story. There's no way to deny the death and torture part of Christ's death. But to me, remembering the horrendousness of the act only reminds me of its importance. I could have nothing could, could be nothing good, and couldn't share the joy of my God without this awful day. How do you thank someone who was beat with a steel-tipped whip and killed next to criminals, all for you? Only through reverence and love.

As we worshipped with the congregation on Good Friday services, the tears just flowed. My Christ, my Savior was killed. He did it all for me. It's easy for me to think about it in the corporate sense--he did it for the whole world. But for me? That's more difficult. He so loved me that even as I was still a sinner--which is today, tomorrow, and the rest of my earthly life--he died for me. What an amazing God. What an amazing love. I'll never get it right. And I'll never do enough to right my wrongs. But because of the good act on Good Friday, I don't have to get it right. He who knew no sin became sin for me. Wow.

I am thrilled to be able to share Easter with my family. I can't wait to say, "He is risen! Christ the Lord is risen today!" It doesn't get better than the joy of resurrection. Without the death and mourning of our Christ, though, we'd never get to the celebration. And so I sit in the middle, between death and life today, thankful for both.

I love the image of the Smalltown Poet's Song "Beautiful, Scandalous Night." I will be savoring these words until sunrise tomorrow.

At the wonderful, tragic, mysterious tree
On that beautiful, scandalous night you and me
Were atoned by His blood and forever washed white
On that beautiful, scandalous night

May the Lord bless you on this Holy Weekend, no matter where you are in your life.

Here's to forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment