Monday, December 26, 2011

Little Man Monday

Hello, Sweet Little Man!

Merry Christmas! I know, I know, Christmas doesn't happen in Ethiopia until Jan 7. For us, though, Christmas was yesterday. We went to Christmas Eve services on Saturday night. Many of your grandparents' friends from church asked us about you--about when we would see your face and know your name. We don't know, of course, but it's lovely that they are already thinking about you. They told us they pray for you and for our family. We couldn't be happier about that. We know some day, you will be in your Christmas best, sitting right down the pew from us. We'll teach you how to hold the candle still during Silent Night so you don't drip wax. I can't wait to hear your little voice since along with the rest of us.

We opened our gifts this year on Christmas Eve and your grandma and Uncle Pete had similar ideas. They both got some fun books for your dad and me. Even though they were our Christmas gifts, I am pretty sure you will get to enjoy them. Here are the books from Grandma and Grandpa:


Aren't they neat? One is an alphabet book of Ethiopian culture. I've read it before and I think we'll enjoy reading it together for years to come. The other is an Ethiopian folk tale. It's a pretty neat story.

Your Uncle Pete took the book thing in a different direction. He got us four of his favorite children's books. If you can't tell, your Uncle Pete is a farmer at heart (but don't remind him he doesn't actually have a farm). He got some great books about tractors and steam shovels but he also picked up Where the Wild Things Are and The Polar Express. I have a feeling you will love them. They are great books full of magic and make believe.  If you ask me, that's the perfect kind.


Your dad got me a surprise "book" too. It's called a kindle. It holds all kinds of books and I can read and read all day. I am reading right now about parenting, in hopes that I might be more prepared for your arrival. I also know, Little Man, you will be surprising in ways I can't even picture or plan for. 

Of course, the presents are nice but we know what the real gift is: our savior. Little Man, I can't wait to share with you about Jesus. This year, on Christmas Eve, we had some friends over and their children put Jesus in the manger to signify his birth. Soon, you will get to put him in the manger, continuing the family tradition. We don't put him in our manger scene until Christmas Eve each year.  He's what we've been waiting all season for. He is the greatest gift of all.

We love you, Little Guy. Whether we wait one or two or three more Christmases before you arrive, you are already here in our hearts.  Merry, Merry Christmas. A day late here and a few days early for you.

Love, 

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment