Saturday, May 7, 2011

One Down, Many to Go (and a mothers day update)

Well, we can officially say we have begun fundraising!  We were up at the crack of six this morning to move the bags and boxes of things people had given us over to our friends' house for our yard sale.  First things first--I have never had a yard sale before.  I didn't know what to expect.  So, when I rolled in at 7 and we'd already had one customer, I was slightly surprised.  Ultimately, we had traffic that ebbed and flowed all morning but we have LOTS of stuff left and hope to do another sale again later this summer.  Thanks to everyone who contributed items (and a special thanks to Ash and Pete, who gave us a hefty donation of their own) we made a little over $250.  For our first fundraiser, we are happy clams:).  It will go straight into the savings, waiting to be used on our international documents, the next big cost on the path.  We're so honored to have such great friends who love us (and our little one) so much.

Speaking of great friends, I received an unexpected blessing of a different sort from another dear friend yesterday in the mail: my first mothers day card.  Exhibit A:



















Rarely have I seen a greeting card so beautiful.  Friends, adoption is kind of a hard thing sometimes.  I mean, yes, at the end of this, God-willing, I will be a mother.  Yet, unlike moms who get that way by being pregnant, there's not a lot to remind me each day of the path to motherhood.  Sure, I have paperwork.  Lots and lots of paperwork.  But it kind of feels like it's just a part of my job.  It's hard to tie it on a daily basis to an actual person who will join our family.  So, to get such a sweet reminder that I will, in fact, be a mom and I am at this moment a mom-to-be is really more than I could handle.  Yes, you guessed it--the tears.  They came.  I am a crier.  We're all cool with that by now (I hope).  I was just overpowered by the thoughtfulness of sweet Jenna who decided to remind me of how she loves me and how lucky I am to be on the road to motherhood, even if my road is filled with files.

For my own mother, I took a less-traditional route this year.  Amanda wrote a lovely post the other day about As Our Own, an amazing organization that helps free children who are born into sex slavery in India.  So, I decided instead of flowers, my mom could help someone's child for Mothers Day.  They even have a certificate you can print out to give to your mom.  So, if you are a last-minute shopper, head over to As Our Own and make a difference.  Your mom will be proud.

I want to leave you with the sweet words Jenna wrote inside my first Mothers Day card:

"We have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.  And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light"  

Colossians 1:9-12

Happy Mothers Day to each and every mother and mother-to-be out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment