Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Benerspaniels Make Me Laugh Til I Cry

Yesterday was a normal day. Except it wasn't at all. I mean, it should have been normal. But, well, everything was different.

I want to talk about the rest of yesterday. I do. But for now, I want to focus on last night: ladies night.

Actual ladies. And one man: Ben Flajnik, the Bachelor. Or the man I have grown to call Ben the Cocker Spaniel. Or Benerspaniel.

Because let's be honest: that hair. It looks like a cute little Cocker Spaniel puppy.

Except it is about 300% less cute on a grown man. And yes, I get there is no such thing as 300%. I took statistics. But I don't think 100% is enough to convey how much worse his hair has gotten as the season progressed.

We don't watch for Ben. Or Courtney. Or Linzi with a "z." Or Nicki. Which is good because **spoiler alert** Nicki was too good for Ben so he gave her the boot. Or something like that.

So here's the thing about last night--while the women were running around Switzerland accepting fantasy suite cards, we were COMPLETELY ignoring them and giggling our heads off. Tis true. The Bachelor is OK and all but we've really gotten to the point where we use it as an excuse to get together and drink champagne and eat anything with sugar.

(If you are a champagne fan, you should know that my new favorite thing is to add a tablespoon of almond syrup. I am not kidding. It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. OK that may be too strong. But maybe it isn't. You will only find out if you add almond. And in related news, I want to try it with almond extract next.)

So, back to our laugh fest. Five women. One bottle of champagne. Some cookies. And a TV without DVR.

Yes, you read that right. Without DVR!!

EQUALS a delight. We talked about nothing. At least three times I cried from laughing. Stories from work, roommates' dates (not mine--Eric is not allowed to date. Then again, I am the only married one), and making fun of Ben's hair. It was all game.

And I was even lucky enough to not laugh until I wet my pants.

Which is lucky for me. I am not always that lucky. No really.

I guess, I write this all to say the older I get, the happier I am to hang out with ladies. Between my Sunday ladies (you know who you are!), my Monday ladies, and those ladies sprinkled in between, my life is just filled with wonderful women. 

The Bachelor will soon end but the most dramatic watch party ever will live on forever in our memory.

E and I are sharing a night on the couch because we are about to spend our week supporting documentary film and not sleeping. I'll have to give an update. For now, though, I am going to stop neglecting my husband and start enjoying the Cupcake Wars episode he DVR'ed just for me.

2 comments:

  1. Trader Joes akes an almond bubbly. Mmmmm! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'becca, that is what made me do it in the first place! i bought a bottle and absolutely loved it but TJ's is a 2 hour drive. so this is a good substitute.

      Delete