Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crock Pot Soup and Apes


Alternately titled: Why My Valentine's Day Rocked

So, to understand this post you might need to know my distaste for Valentine's Day. No, I was never jilted. I never felt bad for being single or had terrible Valentine's Days of the past. I just, well, never got into it. We used to have anti-Valentine's parties in high school (even when I was in relationships). I guess my take on it has been that true love doesn't need a day. And chocolates won't cut it. It just simply lives itself out in everyday life.  And anything you do on that one day won't make up for a year's worth of letting the romance take a back seat.

Which is why I am pretty lucky to have a man who loves romance. The way I love romance. One case in point: when I left the house this is what my table looked like:


And, magically, my romantic husband made all this laundry disappear.

Folded.

Into drawers.

See? So romantic.  
So yeah. We had decided we wouldn't spend money but we would just spend a lovely night together.  At our house.  No steak. No expensive treats.  Just time together. So I made some crock pot soup (buffalo chicken and it was DELIGHTFUL!) and we had sparkling red wine from Trader Joe's.  


(Please take note of the dishes on the counter. This is real life, people.)


We could have bought chocolate covered strawberries. 

Oh we could have. But instead, the darling man-o-mine made me a whole batch.


And cheesecake swirl brownies (no photo, sorry).  We ate til we were stuffed.  We ate romantically under candlelight.

Total lie, people. We ate on the couch while catching up on Thursday night TV from the week before. Ro.  Mance.  In the real world.

Don't think Eric was the only one living out his romance. I took one for the team and watched a movie that I would NEVER in a million years watch.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Yes, friends, we watched apes to celebrate our love.

Because, really, love is nothing if you can't compromise and watch apes for your best friend.

We laughed and snuggled and had the most low-key, low-pressure, highly-adorable-in-the-most-nerdy-way evening.  

So I guess you could say, I am a fan of Valentine's Day.

Done our way.

Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day.  I'm off to catch up on this week's Thursday's night TV and hang out with my man, our two pups and new foster pup.

If that doesn't say romance in the real world, I don't know what does.


1 comment: