Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I don't normally believe in New Year's Resolutions. This year, however, I have made a commitment as close to a New Year's Resolution as I have ever done. A friend and mentor of mine challenged me to read the entire Bible this year. Not in a cover-to-cover format (the Bible isn't really set up to do that way), but instead in a format set out by a guide she sent out. This is a fairly daunting task for me, but I am also pretty excited. I will keep you all posted as to how it is going, and hopefully, just like my lenten commitment, this will keep me somewhat accountable. So... wish me luck. Today I have Matt 1:1-17, Acts 1:1-11, Psalm 1, and Genesis 1-2. Pray for me if you wish. I am hopeful that this will be a life-changing challenge for me.

So moving backwards, New Years last night was great. I would post pictures but we didn't take any. Pete, Eric, and I had a great dinner of crab legs and twice baked potatoes at home. We then watched TV and played video games all night. I barely noticed it was midnight until Eric checked his watch and freaked out. It was just perfect.
Moving backward even further, our Christmas was lovely. We made it to services right after they had started. Luckily, my mother had a welcoming committee waiting for me--no joke. No fewer than three people said they heard I was coming late and that my mother had given them directions on where I was to sit. Hysterical! The situation is so funny because I don't really know any of these people, but since it is my parents' church, everyone knows me. It's entertaining. After services we all headed home and opened presents. Eric and I got some great housewears and some other fun stuff. Part of our Christmas from our parents also included our trip to the Alamo Bowl.

We left for the Alamo Bowl Sunday directly after church. Eric, Mark, and I met Mom, Dad, and Pete in Springfield. We made the 14 hour trip in one day. Dad drove the whole way, and we were asleep in our hotel by 2:30 AM. We were up and out on the River Walk fairly early, and spent the whole day enjoying the sights. We met up with my aunt and uncle and headed to the game. Our hotel was close enough that we were able to walk, which worked out well.

The main event, the game, couldn't have been more stressful! Winning in overtime definitely made for a poetic ending, but I was so nervous I was about to throw up. Luckily, we did win. Walking back from the stadium, we were right next to Marching Mizzou. They played "Hey Baby" and all the fans sang as we walked. That will be a favorite football memory for years to come. We celebrated with margaritas and then were asleep and back in Missouri by 10PM the next day. It was a fast trip, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything!






Here's to New Years, Bowl Games, and great times with family!

No comments:

Post a Comment