Sunday, August 7, 2011

Some Days Are More Eventful Than Others

**Alternately titled my unexplained trip to the ER

Saturday started like any other day.  Better than any other day really. I slept a super long time. I woke up and Hubs had made me breakfast. I posted on the blog and read others' posts.  I enjoyed some quality time at home and prepped for our garage sale next weekend. Really, quite a fabulous Saturday.

It all took a turn for the weird around 3pm. Hubs and I decided to go to the store to grab a few things. As I got out of the car, I was having some lower abdominal pain.  Just weird pain.  No big deal, really.  Hubs asked if I wanted to go home, and I refused. We were already there--might as well get what we came for. Well, about 2 steps in the door, I had to sit. I asked him to get me a water and I told him I was going to go to the bathroom to throw up.  I ran in the door, coughed and threw up a little and suddenly felt like death.  It was as if all the heat had drained from my body and I suddenly felt cold, clammy, and absolutely awful. For you Harry Potter fans, I imagine this is what it feels like when a dementor is in the same room as you.  Yes, I am a nerd.  I questioned how I was going to make it out of the bathroom to get to Hubs.  Things started to go black.  I tried to wash my hands as quickly as possible, and as I passed by the mirror, I noticed I looked as bad as I felt--white and sick.  **Side note, I am pretty sure the woman helping her daughter wash her hands thought I was a drug addict.  I tried to apologize as I ran out of the bathroom. If you are reading this, Lady, I am not, nor have I ever been on drugs.  So sorry to have ruined your trip to the store.**

I made it out of the bathroom, caught Hubby's eye, and laid down on a metal bench to try and collect myself.  Hubs came over with water and mentioned something about going to the hospital. I refused, asking him just to get me home.  He tried to say he'd carry me but I said I would attempt to walk.  Ten steps later I laid down ON THE FLOOR OF WAL-MART.  One, I am embarrassed to say we were even there but we needed school supplies and it seemed like a good place.  I hate it but it is what it is.  Two, ladies, you know I had to have felt pretty darn awful if I were to subject myself to those germs.

So, there I was, lying on the floor by the Old Man Greeter, and Hubs left this woman he'd never met to watch me.  I have, at this point, lost all the feeling in my hands and face and pretty much feel like death. He ran to get the car and meanwhile, Rando Wal-Mart Lady and her husband, Old Man Greeter, and Store Manager What's-His-Face are all continually asking me questions and gathered around me.  They kept asking me my symptoms but I could barely talk. Despite this, I tried to answer calmly, trying to prove to them I am not some sort of crazy addict jonesing for who knows what.  Hubs finally arrived to tell me the car is outside.

The car is sort of a blur.  I still felt like crap. I remember praying.  I remembering having no idea where we were but Hubs did ask me which ER I wanted to go to.  He called ahead and they said to bring me on in.  By the time we got there, the 15 minutes in the car on my side has helped and I could sort of feel my fingers.  I still was shaking a little and felt not the best but I tried to convince him, as he put me in the wheelchair, that I should just go back home.  Hubs, being a concerned husband, convinced me to stay.

So, two hours, five vials of blood, an EKG, two paramedics, one EMT, a nurse, and a doc later, no one had, nor do they now have, any idea why my body did what it did.  Every test came out perfectly.  I will say this--they put an entire liter of fluid in me and I took it like a champ--didn't need to use the restroom or anything. So, at best guess, maybe I was dehydrated?

I apologized to Hubs a million times for wasting our time and money but he promised me he was really happier taking me to know every blood test was OK than worrying all day something was wrong.  Today, I feel worn out--like all my muscles hurt but I feel fine other than that.

So, there is the great tale of how I wasted time and money on a Saturday. I am blessed to feel fine. And no, all you Nosey Rosies, I am not, repeat--not--pregnant. They did test, just in case.

Best I can say, my body just felt odd and decided it needed fluids and rest.  So, I'm on the couch and intend to enjoy a day of rest.  I hope you do the same.  But if you can avoid it, don't go to the ER, ok? Just rest on your own terms:).


  1. That is the weirdest thing ever. Maybe there WAS a dementor in the room? Hope I used the right word. Glad you are feeling better. Maybe you will gain some type of super-immunity to any future illness because of your massive germ exposure after lying on the Wal-Mart floor! :)

  2. Oh my goodness! What a story! I hope that never happens to you again!